October 4, 2009 § 2 Comments
We are back from our September trips and trying to get settled back into things. I had big plans for my knitting since I had lots of travel time in a plane and car however I have returned will less knit up than I left with.
The first issue came up with the argyle vest. I have been working on it the last few months and had a good 10″ or so of argyle. Early on when I started increasing (there is a one stitch increase on each side about ever 16 rows) I noticed an error that I fudged by moving over a few stitches to match up the pattern and adding a stitch where it was needed. It seemed like a good idea at the time and I didn’t think that it would really affect the over all pattern. The stitches are so small it’s hard to even see a small mistake. Later I realized that I had missed an increase on one side so I again added in a stitch where needed. So it was knitting up well and looked fine but then while on the trip I realized that the pattern wasn’t matching up right even though it looked fine. The diamonds on the left side had too many stitches in them and the diagonals on the middle diamond weren’t lined up (there were too few stitches in the diamond?). Overall, I realized that there were some flaws within the way the pattern was coming out and it probably had started near the beginning covering up mistakes.
So I was left with a big dilemma of what to do. I could pull out the whole thing back the ribbing and start over (tear), or pull back a good portion back past the first mistake and start from there. The hard part about the second option is that frogging argyle isn’t as easy as frogging a single color since the yarns are twisted at each color change. The second challenge is that there would be big long pieces of yarn attached as they were pulled out.
I decided to frog back to the mistake and not start all over, and patiently tried to pull out the stitches without crying. Thankfully my sister-in-law was there to save me. She suggested the embroidery thread toggle things (I can’t remember what those are called). So although it’s not fun and very time consuming to frog, at least the thread isn’t so tangled. the plan is to fog back to about where the first set of diamonds ends.
The other project that I brought with me was smaller and I had finished a significant part of the project when I realized that it wasn’t going to fit the recipient because the lace pattern that I picked didn’t have the same stretch as I had expected. So I had to pull that one back too (a lot) and figure out a new way of doing the pattern. This is one of gifts that I have been working on and actually plan to have done by the time I give it. I was worried that I had no prospect of getting it done but now I have more hope and it’s coming along now that I got it started again.
So frustrating, but really why knitting can be fun and challenging, and feel so good when it finally works out.